Absolute Spin and Absolute Pilates Cardio classes both follow the belief of HIIT. Understand why they work better than your regular cardio sessions. Yes we are going to get a bit technical!
HIIT is a high intensity interval workout performed at such an intense level that your body will spend the rest of the day expending energy to recover from the training. This recovery period or ‘after burn’ is called EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) and it means that you consume a great deal more oxygen recovering from the exercise bout than you would have if you'd just done a steady-state workout. This is because the body needs additional fuel to return to its resting state. Requiring more fuel means additional calorie burn.
Take a look at the diagram below to see the difference between a steady state cardio workout (60 minute run on treadmill at steady pace) and a high intensity workout (Spin class and/or Cardio Class).
The white section of the graph displays your metabolism after going for a 1 hour jog at a steady pace. As you can see your metabolism drops back to its regular level after about 3 hours.
The yellow section of the graph displays your metabolism after doing a HIIT session (i.e. spin class or cardio pilates class). As you can see your metabolism is raised for a much longer period. It's only after approx 36 hours that it drops to its regular state!
BENEFITS OF HIT AND EPOC
- EPOC raises the body’s calorie consumption post-workout in order to return itself to the pre-exercise state. This increased level of metabolism last for up to 36 hours. (See above)
- Muscle fibres rebuild and this increased muscle mass leads to an increase in calorific burn each day. So not only do you tone up you will also be burning more calories just sleeping!
- You are kick starting the enzyme “hormone-sensitive lipase” (HSL) which orders the cells to release the fat content that is stored within them.
- HIT also stimulates production of testosterone and your human growth hormone (HGH) by up to 450 % during the 24 hours after you finish your workout.
- Anabolism (muscle building) is also improved with high intensity training. When muscle tissue is pushed to the point of failure or exhaustion it then rebuilds and recovers to its maximum potential in order to meet that type of intense stress again.